Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 4: Long Night's Journey Into Day


Samuel Beckett was a good man. The title of this blog is an allusion to a play by Eugene O'Neill, but I have to mention that Samuel Beckett was a good man. Why? The Malloy trilogy and Stream of consciousness writing. For him it was nobel prize worthy, for me it seems a little lazy but I'm working on little sleep and trying to form coherent thoughts and actually...you know...make a point today seems a bit futile. So I'm just going to type as thoughts come to me and hopefully this won't suck. (I've resigned myself to the fact that it will.)

I'm coming off of two consecutive overnight shoots. The last one began at 11 pm Friday night and ended at 11 am Saturday morning. While in the midst of it I felt as though it would never end. I was fading fast and wondering if the whole experience was karmic retribution for some horrible act that I had perpetrated at some point in my life. Sleep is a good thing. Don't underestimate it. Making films is decidedly less good, but some would argue just as essential. I don't know where I stand on that. I should be a film devotee, but I would really love to sleep right now. I may revisit this topic when my judgment is less cloudy.

Michigan lost today for the six time in as many years to Ohio State. This has nothing to do with sound, but it's on my mind and I'm just typing what pops in there. Like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Stream of consciousness homies.

I wish this was as clever or intellectual as Beckett. It's not. Sorry Sammy. I would write more but I have disgraced your good name enough with these few words. I'll do better tomorrow.

Done.

Ryan the Sound Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment