Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday



I should begin with an apology to my parents. I did not go to church today to get ashes. In fact I can't even remember the last time that I stepped foot inside of a Catholic church actually. I haven't really been a good Catholic since 2003 (the year I graduated from an all-boys Jesuit high school and went on to form my heathen Christo-Buddhist hybrid at the haven of heathens also known as the University of Michigan) and I know that you've struggled to understand the seemingly illogical paths that my mind has pulled me in from time to time. But, allow me to assure you that my next door neighbors here in New York are not the cult members from Rosemary's Baby and that I am consistently keeping Satan behind me.

Anyhow, I don't think this is the appropriate arena for me to discuss matters of my spirituality and I ask you all to look for my soon to be published memoir in which I expound upon my unique beliefs and my love of Italian food entitled, Mind Your Dharma, Son Please. And, Find the Parmesan Cheese (Random House, MSRP $79.95). All proceeds will go toward funding my first feature film.

Ash Wednesday always seems to sneak up on me. I walk around and see folks with smudges on their foreheads and suddenly remember that I'm supposed to give up something that I love for the next 40 days. I feel as though such a sacrifice is something that requires extensive meditation and thought and I don't know if I'm exactly comfortable making a decision the day of. So what do I do?

I've been experiencing a lot of psychological and physical extremes thus far this year. From subliminal inspiration to temporarily crippling disillusionment. From top physical condition (or so I thought) to wincing in pain after walking only a block (currently attempting to recover from a knee injury). It seems only fitting that I use this year's Lent as a time for reflection on what this all ostensibly means and give up something that is as extreme as this young 2010 as been so far.

After having thought about this for a great deal of time (and by that I mean the last hour or two), I've decided to give up meat in its entirety this Lent. This could potentially serve to dampen my mood persistently into the nether extremes of the spectrum, but I feel as though I need a challenge right now to keep my mind balanced and focused. So if I seem like I'm always in a really bad mood for the next month or so, take that as a good sign. If I'm down one day and chipper the next, check my backpack for a hamburger.

Ryan

4 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back! phew. quit icin' your readers!

    my mom called me today:
    hi steeeeeeph, i just wanted to remind you what today is.

    me:
    uhh, feb 17? not your birthday...not dads birthday. i give up.

    mom:
    ash wednesday! don't forget to get your ashes!

    me:
    mom. when is the last time i've gone to church or gotten ashes?

    mom:
    i don't care! you should give something up! i don't know what. or maybe do something! maybe you could be nice to your coworkers for 40 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, be nice to your coworkers, Steph. It's only 40 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, wait, what's this?? How is it that I missed these last few posts and then come to find you're doing all kinds of crazy things. We need to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, impulsivity is running rampant on the streets of New York these days. I wasn't immunized unfortunately. Crazy things resulted. We shall discuss...

    ReplyDelete