Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I Learned From NBA All Star Weekend and John Mayer


If there's one thing I love as much as film and literature it's sports and music (yes, you read that right). I think if I had it all to do again, as a kid I would have put the books down, stuck with the violin lessons that my dad made me take, and spent more time shooting hoops in the backyard. Or better yet, kept the books in hand WHILE shooting hoops in the backyard AND practicing my violin. All at the same time. You would have heard of me. Mr. Ryan James Carmichael to my friends, the Renaissance child from Southfield, Michigan to the world. It's a shame that didn't work out...

Anyhow, I digress.

My college counselor in high school thought it would have been a great idea for me to go on to study journalism. This was before I even dreamed of being a filmmaker so I humored the thought for a while. I think in some parallel universe I am actually a fledgling cub journalist whose ultimate ambition is to see his byline above the fold on the front page of the New York Times. Or, given my stated love of sports and music, with my own column in Sports Illustrated or Spin. Or, BOTH. I'm going to live in this universe momentarily, bear with me if you will.

This past weekend, there occurred in the NBA what could arguably be called the most meaningless event in all of sports: the All Star Game. Let's watch a bunch of guys who already get paid too much get paid even more to play a game that has no bearing on anything but itself. Well, will they play their hardest? Of course not, why risk injury. Does the winner get a parade or something? Nope, they all take a day off after the game and the season starts again. So, what's the point? Exactly.

Worse than the game (which was pretty entertaining, but I shall maintain this air of cynicism to prove whatever point I'm trying to make here), were the pre, during, and post-game interviews. I've NEVER understood these. They get asked the most obvious questions and give the most obvious answers. Absolutely nothing is gained from these things. Examples:

Courtside Correspondent: What are your thoughts going into the game?
Player: You know, I'm just focused on playing hard and winning the game.

Courtside Correspondent: What are your thoughts going into halftime?
Player: You know, I came out hard, wanting to play well and I think the main thing, you know, is to keep up the intensity in the second half and try to get the win.

Courtside Correspondent: How do you feel having won the game?
Player: You know, it's like, you know, when you come out and play hard and you know, your teammates come to play too, it's like you get the win, you know. It's all hard work. We played a good game and good things happened. You know.

Thanks.

I exaggerate a little. BUT, only a little.

I guess athletes aren't paid for their amazing oratory skills so I shouldn't be so harsh. But this is all the more reason for us to axe these execrably inane interviews. THIS is why I love Lloyd Carr (you'll want to watch :35 and 1:30 for the gem). God bless you, Lloyd.

Before you tire of my rant I have to comment on the other thing that's been on my mind recently and that's stupid John Mayer. I recognize the failed attempt at irony in his "racist" statements and I'm not the one to throw that label around haphazardly unless it's deserved (Rush Limbaugh comes to mind), so I'll reluctantly give him a pass this time. But, come on John, I read the interview and how tactless can you be? Do you kiss your mom with that mouth? You're a talented dude, but that doesn't necessarily make it OK be an unabashed tool. Where's you sense of decency?

If anybody from Sports Illustrated or SPIN is reading this blog, I have no commitments at the time and will be awaiting a call from you.

Ryan

Postscript: My grumpiness is probably due to the fact that I was in class until 10 tonight and this is the second year in a row that Fat Tuesday has passed without my eating a paczki. Not ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment