Thursday, March 25, 2010

50 Seconds

McCarren Park, I Remember Thee...

Another 2 AM post. I like the idea of a series of posts solidified by a a single idea or concept. That's what this blog started as. You'll be happy to know that I am little bit more lucid tonight too. (Not really.)

Right now I am 50 seconds away from locking picture on my film. The screenplay for the film was 16 pages long. In filmmaking one page of script equals one minute of screen time. I've known that for seven years. I also knew when I started writing this film that the final cut had to be under ten minutes. Why then did I write a 16 page script? WHY???

My first cut of the film was 16.5 mintues. It included every line and every moment of the script as written. They say that writer-directors should NEVER edit their own films because they are too attached to the story as written and directed (naturally). A story which may or may not be the best story to be found in the footage. This explains the frustratingly hard time that I've had cutting this film.

There are certain shots and moments in the film that I feel contain the essence of what I'm trying to say and that for all intents and purposes is probably not communicated to the audience outside of my mind. (The audience inside my mind is totally digging this shit though.) I'm 50 seconds away from excising these moments and getting my film down to the 10 minute streamlined version that the faculty will rip apart in about a week and a half.

Thankfully at 10 minutes and 50 seconds the film still feels like the one that I initially set out to make. We'll see what happens when I finally get those 50 seconds out and lock picture.

The film may turn into a hockey movie. Which is cool as long as its D3: The Mighty Ducks.

Guy the Sound Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment