Wednesday, March 10, 2010

8 1/2


My apologies abound for how cinema-centric this blog has been lately, this being my third film-related post in as many days (goes to show you how one-dimensional I am). But, I just finished re-watching Federico Fellini's 8 1/2 for class, and I'll be darned if it didn't remind me why I was so obsessed with this film and its director when I was in college. Matter of fact, it was the studying of this film and Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless that mostly informed the type of films that I wanted to make when I was the tender ages of 18-21.

These two are two very different films but the techniques that they employ to tell their stories make for some of the most breathtaking and engaging viewing experiences you'll ever come upon. 8 1/2 in particular struck a resonant chord for me both then and now due to the way that Fellini renders his own psychology and state of mind so concisely and imaginatively on screen. As the legend goes, the story is very autobiographical in its depiction of film director, Guido Anselmi's myriad problems as he approaches production on his next film. I won't give any more away, but I will say that if you haven't seen the film you will be left dizzied by this characters many encounters and misadventures.

In film school there's an on-going debate (more like lecture) in most writing and directing classes regarding passive characters vs. active characters. Most professors frown upon passive characters as non-engaging and unsympathetic, and regard active characters who possess a tangible goal and the will to achieve it as the reason why audiences shell out their hard earned cash to sit in a dark room and watch light projected on a screen. I was very resistant to this argument for many years, but have finally come around to it. It's true. (Yes, I am the product of NYU brainwashing.) But, I have to say 8 1/2 makes a compelling case for passive characters in film. You should watch it if you haven't seen it and tell me what you think. Warning: It's 2.5 hours and Italian with VERY chatty characters (translation: A LOT of reading). BUT, it's a miraculous film (and I don't use that word lightly, or ever for that matter).

Nothing like being inspired on a Wednesday night.

Ryan the Sound Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment