Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 12: My Lungs/Granderson


Hey there sports fans. Today I have to lead off with the best/worst non-sound related news that I've heard in quite sometime. My favorite player on the Detroit Tigers, Curtis Granderson, was today traded to the oft-vilified New York Yankees. This sucks. I love the Tigers (and have hated the Yankees since the beginning of time) and their trading away my favorite player makes my heart hurt a little bit. And, to make matters worse they lost my other favorite player, Placido Polanco, to the Phillies last week (he was a free agent and Philadelphia offered him more dough). Next summer is going to feel very strange without seeing those two guys in center field and at second base. I remain a fan however, and will openly embrace the new lineup.

The good side of this, is that my favorite player is coming to New York (!) giving me a damn good reason to attempt to start liking the Yankees. When I first heard of this trade, I imagined Curtis and I hitting the streets of Manhattan reminiscing about the good ol' days in the D over a few drinks. That's right folks, Curtis Granderson and I would be best friends. No, I'm not delusional, I of course know that this is in fact going to happen. But, I'm most excited about being able to wear my Detroit Tigers Granderson jersey to Yankee Stadium when the Tigers come to town and not having to worry about getting punched, shoved, stabbed, or spat upon at by the most obnoxious fans on the planet (Yankees fans, that is). I'll be rooting for the Tigers under the cover of being a Curtis Granderson fan. It's perfect. Feel my nerdy excitement.

Sorry, Steph. I know that you just thanked me a few days ago for not talking about baseball in this blog. If you've read this far I am deeply grateful :) We'll make a sports fan out of you one of these days.

Alright now for something that actually has something to do with my experience sound mixing...

I think that this may be killing my lungs. Seriously. Two weeks ago I complained about the persistential second hand smoke inhalation that was reeking havoc on my bronchialisitic operations (I feel like making up words right now). Today, asthma struck again. The culprit: the moldiastic basement in which we shot. Breathing is a good thing, guys. It feels good and it's good for you. Don't get me wrong though, if filmmaking is prohibitive of breathing then I'd be willing to forgo perfect lungular performance to pursue the dream. It would just be very uncomfortable is all, as tonight I shall be forced to wheeze myself to sleep. A difficult task given the whole painful shortness of breath thing.

I guess it's all fitting given that one of the movies that really made me want to study film was Jean Luc Godard's "Breathless." While the film had nothing to do with asthma, it had everything to do Jean Paul Belmondo making funny faces in a mirror. I guess I'm living the dream right now as my shortness of breath face looks a lot like Clint Eastwood's trademark scowlsquint.


Get off my lawn.

Ryan the Sound Guy

2 comments:

  1. ok you are NOT going to believe this but i actually know who granderson AND placidoooooooooooo palancooooooooooooooooooooo are.

    i have been to a couple tigers games in my day (by peer pressure of course). granderson was the guy who caught EVERY SINGLE BALL ALWAYS and placidoooooooooooooooooooooooooo palancooooooooooooooooooooooo, besides having the most amazing name ever, has this unforgettable little wiggle n' squat whenever he went to bat. ole! they both rule, even though they like baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,

    You have restored my faith in humanity in with this comment. You even noticed Polanco's batting stance. A tear forms in my eye...

    ReplyDelete