Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 14: Shooting in the cold/Predictability


If there's one thing that I seriously dislike it's being cold. Being cold for long periods of time has the tendency to put me in a foul mood and I hate being in a foul mood as I feel that it's generally kind of selfish and very un-zen like when you're on a film set. There are only two things that do this to me: being hungry and being cold. But, of the two, being cold is the one that is always able to get the best of me, whereas being hungry is kind of like a minor inconvenience that only plagues me 97% of the day. The cold is like the mortal enemy that I'm set to do battle with until the end of time (Shredder) and hunger is like an annoying fly that I know that I can vanquish with a little bit of patience, ill karate moves, and a couple slices of pizza (the Foot Clan). Will I ever overcome the evil cold? Will I ever learn to be happy whilst being unable to feel my fingers and toes? Tune in on Sunday (Day 17) for Ryan the Sound Guy's battle with the nefarious winter air.

I actually shouldn't really complain given the hell that I put the crew of my honors thesis film at Michigan through. Writing a 36 page script in which most of it must be shot in the heart of Michigan winter and asking people to help you make it (for no school credit or pay) is more than even the nicest person can ask. I still have much love and respect for those guys and gals.

So I'll give bearing the cold a little bit of the old college try and do my best not to fly into a mad rage when a car passes by and an airplane flies overhead messing up the sound on a take all while I'm shivering uncontrollably. I will get a grip.

Part two: Maybe writing a blog day after long day of exhausting (and cold) shooting is just silly in itself, but I feel a decided lack of inspiration this week. I feel as though this has made itself apparent through repetitive and predictable writing here folks, and I'm not OK with that. I read an article today (on set :-0) that was sent to me via e-mail by my sanity prone friend Cathlin, about the staleness of the AOL brand. It kind of got me to thinking. No, not about the futility of AOL, but about this here blog. I think that I'm going to try to phase in some new style over the next couple days in an attempt to re-brand the Ryan the Sound Guy name. Long gone are the extensive complaining diatribes with stupid Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle references. Get ready for some fresh material.

I'm talking Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Fresh...

Bet.

Ryan the Sound Guy

2 comments:

  1. T-U-R-T-L-E power! i just said that in my head as i was reading this. it's my cheer for you. for your rebranding.

    hey remember that game we learned from that movie...with the matches? and you keep removing them one by one. i like that game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD!!! That movie was awesome, the game even more so! I wish I remembered how to play though...

    ReplyDelete